Tuesday 23 October 2012

Print Workshops ONE & TWO// Stock Workshop

Stock Workshop with Amber.

Firstly we had to look around for some interesting types of stock outside of college and cut them in to square 10cm x 10cm. Here are my examples: I ended up bringing some pretty boring stocks to the workshop but it was ok as we didn't look at them! Instead, Amber brought out a box full of varius publications with lovely different types of stock. Firstly, here are some examples of 


Pan 100 Finished film role. I think its a sticker that has been wrapped round the plastic.



Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young : Deja Vu original press Record. This is really interesting because when closely expecting, the text and photo look like they have been done hand made, The photo espically. The stock used is fascinating, feels like a sort of leather.


The Hola book is what you expecting from any book or publication presenting photos, I nice think glossy page


This a Leeds College of Art book made from a thick card 


Leaflet


Leaflet


Leaflet- The top three I all managed to find at the same time after a gig but they seem to all use the same stock. Maybe because it is cheap.


Skate Wheel, this is really old so the graphics have almost complelty gone, however I would like to look into how graphics are printed onto wheel.


Leaflet, the colours come out really nice on this leaflet, the paper is quite firm and glossy.
 ............................................................................................................................................................
Ambers second task- Collect a variety of stock and cut them into the dimensions 10cm, x 10cm





















What I decided to choose wasn't exactly that exciting, especially when I came in to find all the examples Amber brought in. What I did try to do, was identify how my examples had been printed, but it was pretty much impossible without the microscope. I never knew so much attention could go into what sort of stock you could you and I never new there was so many different types out there. I look forward to getting some designs finished and looking into what stocks would work best or look nicest.

Photos from workshop 









I really enjoyed this workshop as we were shown a large range of different stock across a wide range of publications. I mostly like the examples that have been embossed and that is defiantly something I want to look into. I talked to a third year who was showing a friend his new business cards and he said that he went down to Vernon Street (Leeds) where is is quite easy to do such things. How you execute a final design is always so important as it can make such a difference to what the audience thinks about you (when talking about business cards). Embossed work adds so much more class to a design, and of course, a lot more attention 

No comments:

Post a Comment