Wednesday 3 October 2012

A History Of...// Peer Feedback

STRENGTHS
  • Pictograms are useful, Good visual representation of stereotypes, look effective and strong.
  • The book is educational and the amount given does educate the audience. Good use of research to effectively communicate the information/ stereotypes etc. 
  • Content is strong, a lot of work was clearly been focused on.
  • Cohesive look/ approach to all products. 
  • Layout is strong 
  • Continuous and Consistent.
  • Shape of flyer is eye catching.
  • Pictograms help visualise the countries.   
AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT  
  • Type on front of deign works very well, but type face as pink on blue is no that legible
  • Main text within the booklet is not that legible maybe think about using the other font in the book for that part
  • Could have gone with a more British colour. Colours look like man and woman- so if used keep to simple colours.
  • Font and/ or colour on triangle is of high contrast making it hard to concentrate on. 
  • Using 'the script' as body copy can be hard on the eyes.
  • Colours used work well as block colour but not as body copy. 
CONSIDERATIONS 
  • Language used is considerate, where would it be placed? 
  • The triangle design looks visually correct but we do not understand the idea behind the shape
  • More consideration of type 'script' is slightly overused.
  • Try adding more white signifiers.    
MY SEVEN QUESTIONS FOR PEERS ABOUT WORK
  • Are the fonts I used sensible and legible?
  • My Triangular leaflet, what do you think about the shape?
  • Do the pictograms suit the book? How much do they help?
  • What do you think about the colours I went for? 
  • How would you do anything differently?
  • How could I elevate this further?  What are the next steps?
  • Does the book interest you and educate you at all? 
YEAR FEEDBACK ON MOST BROUGHT UP COMMENTS
  • Good clarity. 
  • Effective type.
  • Questions + Discussions re: content.
  • Relevant colour/ image. 
  • Originality of format.
  • Range - Does it work.
  • Relevant text.
  • Correct spelling grammer.
  • Composition. 
  • Originality of design.
TOP TEN THINGS I FOUND INTERESTING ABOUT MY CHOSEN SUBJECT 
  • The most interesting thing that I found out was all the strange stereotypes some countries in Europe seem to have. From looking very deeply into this I managed to find some strong information that I was able to but into my questionnaire 
  • After first year, my number one thing to get better at was Illustrator CS. I have to say I spent a lot of my summer on this book and quite a bit of that time was spent on Illustrator. I had a book on illustrator that my brother gave me and I read into to find out how to do certain things. Its a nice feeling to have now a good foundation on the program. I feel I will be able to create better designs this year.
  • Getting back to some stereotypes and facts. I found it quite funny that 100% of irish catholic children make a pledge to stay away from alcohol before they are 18. Only 2% stick to it.
  • You can see from my book I used piecharts for my info graphics. To my surprise illustrator had a tool where you could throw in your percentages and it would automatically make it into a pie chart. Good knows what I was doing last year; Bar charts on photoshop I guess.
  • About 75% of Germans have blue eyes. But in actual fact only 8% have both blue eyes and blond hair. That kicks thats stereotype out the window.
  • Spanish is the second most spoken language in the whole world! For some reason I thought the English language would be the most spoken but the most spoken language in the world is mandarin.
  • From my survey. 73% of BRITISH people DISAGREE with us being alcoholics. For some reason I find this outrageous! I would say we are at the top of the leader board for this (not thats its a competition). 
  • The Irish amount for drinking is said to be 3 times higher than anywhere in Europe. I have to say this sound a bit un true. I know many Irish people and they don't fit this 'fact'.
  • France is said to have very low water pressure which is why they are 'smelly'. This is quite funny, pretty sure what ever happens these days people tend to make sure they are NOT smelly.
  • Finally, I am very surprised from the group crit! (look below
MY COMMENTS ABOUT PEER FEEDBACK
I am very surprised from the group crit, so much stuff was brought up that I should have realised! The colours are at the end of the day ridiclous. Why didn't I go with the same colours as the Union Jack? That would have made my book so good! The text would have been legible and to colours at the end of the day would have been suitable as the book was about our british opinion. Another thing that really gets to me is the caps on the first page. 'Britain' has a capital 'B' when 'Europe' doesn't. How did I miss that? How did everyone I show the book to before the crit not see that? Overall though, I am please I had a lot of not so much negative feedback but honest feedback is I feel the next time I get to designing I will be eyeing everything up searching deep for silly mistakes. Any designer can say that working on something for a long time can make you not see the obvious mistakes. This summer project has been fantastic practise and I am happy I worked so hard over summer as I feel like a stronger designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment