Thursday 5 January 2012

Study Task 4 - Legibility, Readability, Hierarchies

With this brief we have to find 3x Newspapers, 3x Posters and 3x Magazines. it states '...Based on the principles, terminology and information introduced in Session 3 of the Module develop a body of work that demonstrates an investigation of Typographic Hierarchies across a range of selected Graphic Design formats...' However, it doesn't mention whether or not for Newspaper and Magazine to look into the content or the just the cover (content being just one double page spread) so I am going to go with the double page spread. Maslow’s hierarchy of needs has given me a better idea of how to approach this Task.

3x Newspapers (All of these are formed in Size & Legibility)

Good

Firstly for newspapers I found it extremely hard to decided what looked good and what didn't. I tend to find that newspapers are always legible as they have to be! They inform and warm the mass and in order to get the message across hence forth legibility is curtail.
I think this is the best out of the three because its the front and back and is very simple, very easy to understand and in terms of Typographic Hierarchie very clear.



 When thinking about the sizing of the letters I think that once they have been put into size order, like above it makes sense. The biggest font is that of the paper title and as you scroll down you start to leave the 'article font' and get into the more colouful and 'advert font'



This front and back has a total of 36 different fonts. This is by far the most legible and readable newspaper out of the three.


Average



I decided that this was average because as soon as you turn the page you are drawn in the the advertisement on the bottom left for John Lewis which draws you away from the important news. In terms of legibility everything is fine. All of these mostly being different sizes too, also I marked each different font with an orange cross.



I firstly laid out the text like this but, quickly decided that it was too messy and I went with the down the middle technique in order to make it more clear.




In total there are 25 different fonts.

Bad



  I decided this was bad simply because half the double page spread is made up of adverts and can easily distracted the viewer. Look at how many typefaces there are too, of all different colours and sizes. I feel the colour of the adverts are way to heavy for the content above too. It seems to be something the actual article. As usual the headlines or company names are the thickest and have to biggest pt size.



In total there is a staggering 59 different fonts for this double page spread... and its all to do with the adverts. Adverts have a tendency to use different scale and font to really attract the viewers attention. Unfortunately for me...I now have to cut all of this out which won't be much fun at all.  Some of the text is much to small to cut out, which also leads to bad legibility.
The picture above is the mess that was created whilst deconstructing these newspapers! The newspapers will most definantly be the most time worthy and frustrating for me

3x Posters


I firstly found the posters I wanted online and then I simply went to get them printed. I went for poster which consisted of type. However, as can see the one I have for 'Good" Is mainly illustration but I get round to why I choose it. Posters are much different to a newspaper or a magazine as they themselves are the front cover and in the content so they have to be perfect in order to attract.

Good


Now I chose this because as soon as I found it and it that case looked at it i knew straight away what it was and what it was advertising EVEN though its in a foreign language. I terms of design and appearance I'm not a huge fan but the type and imagery is so legible and clear that it would be hard to miss.

In total there are only 3 different fonts......which really makes me realise that this isn't a type poster.



Average

This poster here was designed by Brain Larossa who is a graphic designer based in NewYork.


Compared to the film poster this is a lot more busy and there are so many more fonts. The fonts themselves are a lot thicker and stand out more, I am a fan of this particular poster because is busy but legible and readable. This illustrations are easy to understand and so are the fonts used. The text the bottom is quite and down to earth and gives you the information simply 
9 different fonts



I organised these in quite a different way to my other ones. I decided to separate the words from the letters and then at the bottom is the smallest which contains both a word and letter.

Bad

This poster was designed by Partycja Zywert from the United Kingdom. and acodring to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs...this does NOT wow me.


In all honesty this is a terrible piece of design and you don't know what your looking at. Unless you read the text which is actually quite hard. I can see IMD and thats its for me really. Not Legible or Readable.

In total I can just work out 13 different fonts 



I could have probably found more in the poster but I was very hard to do so. As you can see the words are pretty much made up from diffrent sized letters which defeats the idea.

3x Magazines 

good

Now this isn't at all a magazine I would be interested in but I looked aside that and found a very respectable article inside 'the Working Lifestyle magazine'. This article is clear and very conventional in terms of page layout, font, representations, pull out quote. Its easy to say that it just works very well.





There are 8 different fonts in total and that including the information at the bottom but not the page numbers. The headline is the biggest in terms or scale and pt, the pull out quote is much bigger that the article text and its italic which to the audience automatically tells them its a quote. The Fonts, like the newspapers and posters have been organised by size.

Average 




Bad

All About Soap!




Here is the hierarchies for this magazine. There are 21 different sizes of font here. Thats what I am going to go with because in terms of Hierarchy this double page spread is pretty mental. This is in 'All About Soap". The colours have no relationship what so ever with the text and is quite unnecessary. This is indeed a gossip magazine and there target audience is a large group of people who are obsessed with celebrity gossip. Having large, colourful text seems very conventional to me for such a magazine but i am not in anyway a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment