Thursday 2 February 2012

Photoshop Brief// 5 Porstcards

For this brief the task is to design 5 photographs using Text, Imagery & Colour. The photos are taken from one of our Design Principles tasks

My chosen Colour :


My photos of choice. I took these for ambers 2nd design principles task and had no real use for them. I was going to use them in my Hotdog book. TAKEN ON CANON A-E1


Leeds Millenium Square


Hebden Bridge


Hebden Bridge


Inn


Leeds City Museum


Postcards


My first example consists of two layers on top of the original photograph. Both the same colour just different opacities. One being 14% (Layer 1) and the other 30% (Layer 2). This is a very basic design but I tried to make it different by using the stoke tool on layer 2. you can just see the fine white line going round the edge.

ONE


Final 1 ^^

This was done all by using the Rectangular Marque tool.


By using this I was able to create shapes on top of shapes and then by using the Magic Wand Tool I could select certain laters and then delete certain shapes created from layering the shapes- Quite hard to explain but I hope you get the idea. I used the Elliptical Marquee Tool to create circles as you can see in the middle. Once this shape was made I could delete it to reveal the actual photograph.


TWO


Not a fan of this design above- The circle isn't positioned correctly.


FINAL 2^^

Looking back at my 100 things poster I found these zigzags and was inspired to use them again but instead using the pentool on photoshop. I quite like this outcome. By using the Magic Wand Tool I could select the green and then delete it from the zigzags. The colour and zigzags are quite dominant in the design but I'm pleased with how it looks anyway.
THE BLACK BOARDER IS NOT PART OF THE FINAL DESIGN (THIS GOES FOR ALL MY IMAGES) - The black background is merely for presenting on my blog against the white.

THREE






I'm not too keen on any of these yet. It was mentioned that we can add type but I'm a bit sceptical about that- From just thinking about it I can see it won't suit my designs. However I will go on to try and see what the outcome reveals.




Text is too loud, however I do like this. Even though WOODS means noting what to ever
I suppose you could relate the shapes I made with leaves?.. and of course the photo which is largely ocupied with tress.

 Final 3 ^^

Shock horror- All of my designs are A6 and I have just found out that they are meant to be A5. Which means at the end of the day I start again or double them in size- I have just done this and they are pixulated. ONE PROBLEM WITH PHOTOSHOP! It is pixels not vector. Not sure how I am going to approach this problem. I hate the thought of handed in pixilated designs.


A5 EXAMPLE- not too bad to be honest. Even when zoomed in it looks the same at the A6 example.

FOUR


I had to come back and use the blush tool to paint this plant back





FINAL 4 ^^

I only used the eraser tool for this and the rectangular marquee tool- As you can see I've separated the forest from the buildings. The first bit was easy but as it got to the buildings in the distance it was quite hard to determine tree from brick as when your that zoomed in its quite pixilated. However I am happy with the final design. I could think about what this is saying in terms of design.
I played around with text on this image but I couldn't back it look right. The inn has a sign on it and that sort of got in the way- However, I think it looks alright like this, having no extra text gives it its own words- The difference between the wilderness and modern human civilisation

FIVE












Final 5^^

The Clone tool! Next, I need to get rid of that white at the bottom and the best way to do this is by using the clone tool. This will fill in the gaps. The clone tool is a simple but very useful tool. It copies parts of the photo and lets you, in a paint brush fashion, fill gaps or replace certain areas. This example above I took when doing the bottom and you almost get the feeling you are smudging the photo to fill the white space. Look at the final design above compared the previous designs 

BACK






With the back I wanted to keep things simple and conventional. I did't want to go over the top with it all and bring in unnecessary colour or even imagery. The next thing to do is get it all printed! I'm only worried about the back not lining up perfectly with the front. It a very hard process matching it all up perfectly. I am going to print it on a think card as there is no folding involved to I won't have to worry about any rips.