Thursday 20 October 2011

Alphabet Soup- ILLUSTRATOR

BRIEF


"Produce an alphabet based on one of the letterforms you created from the Alphabet Soup, Visual Thinking brief. You are restricted to using black and one colour and it is to be produced in CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, key). Although you are restricted to one colour you experiment with opacity and half tones.
You should use your research and experience to date as well as your studio based visual investigations as a starting point. You will use Abobe Illustrator as a tool for visual investigation...."



Firstly I had to choose a letter from my ten letters (ALPHABET SOUP) that would suit the word stretch the best so in the end I decided to use this one as a starting point.

CLICK to enlarge 



The layout of my letters also suits the work stretch. I decided to make the interior of the letter blank so the background comes through only leaving a stroke outline (white). This sort of gives the idea of the letter being stretched. I used the font Helvetica Ultra Light and by selecting 'Create Outlines' I was able to customise my letters. Instead of using 6 Glyphs i ended up using 7 just to make the layout work.

 ERROR: My only problem, which actually happens to be quite a big problem is I didn't use a colour! Reading the brief properly and thoroughly is something I MUST improve on. This brief was set a while ago and theres no excuse to have a final piece that doesn't fit the brief. Obviously I can change this in two seconds on the computer but I have just finished printing this off and I can no longer use the print rooms down stairs. I also have 27 letter forms just to make the layout more interesting.


It hasn't worked to well but I have tried adding colour in block formation, doesn't work to well and on some blocks you can see they are overlapping other blocks. Theres no reason for my i used red. It just looked nice!


Here is another simple idea that I cam up with. I think the lines going throught the letters are very simple but have quite a nice effect.