Sunday 11 December 2011

HOW TO// The Evaluation

The problem we identified was how to preserve your shirt. We went with Natilie's How to which was 'How to iron you shirt'. We decided as a group to go change it to How preserve your shirt which opened up so much for us.  We could go into things like how to wash your shirt. How to look after your shirt etc. There was much debate on whether to do a tag or a booklet but in the end we went with a booklet as it was a much more conventional way of containing information. This however wasn't an easy decision as half the group was in favor of doing a tag and I was in fact one of these people, however I and can proudly say I was wrong and I am so happy we went with the booklet idea. On the internet there was loads of random blogs and websites with peoples own techniques into looking after their shirt and this was something I regally look into. In the end we didn't go with information off the internet but went with the results of an online questionnaire we did. When it was complete we had a good idea of what people did when it came to looking after a shirt. There were questions like 'Do you hang or fold your shirts?' and 'How often do you dry clean?'. This was our only Primary research but it proved to be incredible useful that we didn't actually have to look for any more Primary Refrence. Then we individually looked on the internet for secondary booklet and tag design reference that could maybe give us some inspiration. I mainly looked through blogs and in the end I found my self quite successful with what I found. The research was I would say done completely individually done and then when it came to designing the mock ups we came together with our reference we liked and thought could work. Once the mock up was completed everything went smoothly and there wasn't any group debate until the end where there was disagreement on colour. The most useful research we did was easily the online questionnaire. It was a clever idea and in the end was very fresh and correct information. By getting the views of the public we where able to produce are own information that was true. I did so much research into tag and booklet design and that research gave the group a confident boost in a direction of how the design would look. We didn't research into typefaces and colour we more decided what looked best to us while the booklet was being made. When it came to what was going to be in the booklet we each picked are own topic and did further research. Mine was how to store your shirt and I only went with the online questionnaire as I had a percentage of how many people hang there shirts vs how many people fold them which was a very relevant and strong piece if information. I did actually look into professional ways of storing your shirt but in the end I could only find very subjective opinions that i felt a bit to one-way to work with. My research as a whole I believe was thorough and strong. I don't think we did it incorrectly and I can't think of any other ways we could have gone about this that would have made or final outcome any better. The online questionnaire could have been handed around a bit more as we didn't exactly get loads of peoples feedback but at the end of the day that can't be helped. The final outcome is in my honest opinion fantastic and it answers the brief correctly.



5/10 things I have learnt about the design process in the last 2 weeks
  • Working in a group is very stressful but a good skill to have.
  • Research is so important.
  • The fact that the information is so important, Design is not always the number one thing to concentrate on.
  • Reading the brief over and over makes me more comfortable


5/10 things I would do differently next time
  • If next time we have to do an online questionnaire, Get more people to do it.
  • To everyday have a group meeting.
  • Stay abit later than 4 everyday. Even though we work when we are home we aren't together.
  • To speak my mind if I disagree on something (Never been good at this)